Simple, clear purpose and principles give rise to complex and intelligent behavior.
Complex rules and regulations give rise to simple and stupid behavior.Dee Hock, CEO Emeritus VISA International
From team charter:
- Team—A group of people or animals linked in a unity of purpose.
- Self-organization—The tendency of an open system to generate new structures and patterns based on its own internal dynamics. Organization design emerges from the interactions of the agents in the system; it is not imposed from above or outside. Facilitating Organization Change: Lessons from Complexity Science
Three factors influence the patterns that emerge:
- The container sets the bounds for the self-organizing system. It defines the “self” that organizes.
- Significant differences determine the primary patterns that emerges (power, level of expertise, gender, …).
- Transforming exchanges form the connections between system agents.
Just as a person needs time and space to incubate thoughts before a new Idea can emerge, a system needs a bounded space for the emergence of new patterns. Patterns imply structure, organization. Self-organizations gives you order for free. Effortless organization? don’t just do something, stand there!
Life is a serious game. life is a broccoli.